Personal • Professional • Affordable
Customer Support & Sales
Working time
Mon - Fri : 08:15 - 17:00

Building Regulations Guide


What Are Building Regulations?

Building Regulations are a set of minimum standards for the design and construction of buildings. This is to ensure the safety, health and welfare of people who use and go around those buildings. They also include requirements to ensure that fuel and power are conserved and that facilities are provided for people with disabilities. Before you start any building work you need to check if you need building regulations approval. As the owner of a building, you are held responsible.

CK Architectural

Contact us today to discuss all your project needs

The Building Regulation Process

  1. A comprehensive set of plans and building regulations drawings are submitted to building control (local authority or private inspector).
  2. If amendments are required, the local authority or private inspector will inform the applicant (or agent) of any changes needed.
  3.  Throughout the build process, a building Inspector will visit the site to regulate the build at the following stages – Foundation, Drains and DPC (Damp Proof Course).

What is Building Notice?

This is generally only used when you are carrying out extremely simple building works, such as installing a new fire door between a garage and house or removing a small internal wall. A Building Notice is a single stage method of application where you fill out an application form, pay one single fee and then Building Control come out and inspect as required.

You can find more information on the Planning Portal Website.

Do I need Building Regualtions?

Generally, if you are planning to carry out building work on your home or property, it will need building regulations approval.

The following types of projects will need building regulations approval:

  • The erection or extension of a building.
  • An alteration involving work which will temporarily or permanently affect the ongoing compliance of the building, service or fitting with the requirements relating to structure, fire, or access to and use of buildings.
  • Installing replacement windows using a builder or window company which is not FENSA registered.
  • The installation or extension of a service or fitting which is controlled under the regulations.
  • The insertion of insulation into a cavity wall.
  • The underpinning of the foundations of a building.
  • When you want to change the building’s fundamental use.
  • Renovation of a thermal element.
  • Change of a building’s energy status.

If you are unsure if you require Building Regs Approval then contact us today and we will be able to give you more information.

Still have a few questions?

Speak to our friendly team today